Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Per your request....

OK-so I wasn't real sure how my blog would fly with the ever so talented and witty circles my Farm K-Agent Chick runs with; but your comments are so nice and supportive, I just can't help but fish for more!


I have only one teeny issue- I'm under strict orders not to wield this forum as a place of incessant whining and belittling of others. ( I must use my powers for good' you see.)


Since so much of my own sense of humor stems from people watching and then parsing their behavior in humorous and cynical repertory, I find only the mundane and amusing facets of my life and that of my children. Oh how the knife cuts deep when turned inward!


Seriously, (that comma took me six key strokes to find, 'delete ;delete /delete) several years ago I found myself in a new occupation and learning a whole new set of ropes. This included Asphalt, Graders, Dump Trucks; and tricky stuff like 'blending the residual, and marrying that up, applying 'Release Agent and 'Scraping tapers'. This is all manly,manly,manly stuff and I felt I was learning from the Undisputed Leaders of Road Construction Experience.


Wrong.


I found myself transported back to Jr. High. (middle school, 7th to 9th Grade, Seventeenth Level of Hell, whatever they call it in your town.) These guys bickered over hand tools. They got cranky over tiny imperfections in a three hundred ton asphalt patch. They pitched fits over lunch boxes, and whose went where and was taking to much space and 'accidentally run over'.


They leveled accusations, cast aspersions, and sniped at each other behind turned backs.



Well, I tell you, Citizen (Hey Farm Suite, can I use commas like that?) I engaged in ridiculing my fellow worker along wid'em for a spell.


But then I thought to my self "Self, anyone who would belittle that guy when he's not around would surely cut into you when you're gone too!"



As far as I'm concerned, anything said behind my back is none of my business and I was content to leave it at that; however my sense of decency crept back and I chose the high road. The don't say anything that isn't uplifting and profitable for the other guy, road.


This is a road that leads from constant banter and humorous camaraderie to silence, awkwardness and isolation.


Thankfully I found out there were others who shared my sentiment and we all now commiserate in peace.By ourselves,mostly.In our air conditioned dump trucks. Hauling the 300 degree asphalt to our still squabbling(skwable?) co-workers to dump, spread,rake,marry-up, and apply release agent to.


Hmmm. I wonder if they know I can't hear them bitch behind my back, up here on the High Road? I think I'll just roll the window up, and keep the heat out.

2 comments:

Alexis said...

Isn't it fun to work with grownups who are SO childish that it brings out the little inner brat in ones self? It's really hard to act mature when surrounded by idiots, so I refrain. ha!

Katie said...

I never knew that when you left for "work" everyday you went to Jr. High!

Punk!

I need to get a new mission!

Call in the Replacements!!