Saturday, December 13, 2008

Wow

My friend buried his wife yesterday.

I hadn't much opportunity to ask him how he was doing, I was certain he was absolutely overwhelmed and I didn't want to add yet another "how you holdin' up?''

I do know that she is what stabilized him and brought him back to Christ. And I assumed with her being literally torn away he would be angry and defiant toward God.

I'm sure I would. And on both counts, I would be wrong.

Growing up, my friend was just enough younger than me, I always considered him and his wife "kids". I was his counselor and 'cabin dad' at summer camp. I watched him grow up, screw up, and mature. In fact the picture I used for my profile was taken from a softball game this summer where he hit 9 home runs. I remember thinking what a man he had become and of all it had took to get him there. It all looked good, babies, job, beautiful wife, the whole deal.

All I can say is she faced death on her (figurative) feet, had one week to bring closure to her life as a mother, wife and friend and demanded that no one cry for her. I watched him put his wife in a hearse, and then wrap his huge arms around his aunt, to comfort her.

God uses all things for good. That is His Way.

I wonder how, why, and ignorantly search for answers. And someday I may think I have the answers, and that I now I have understanding.

And on both counts, I'm sure I'll be wrong.



.

4 comments:

Katie said...

You never cease to amaze me. I am still trying to digest this whole business and here you are already applying the lessons to your life.

I am proud to walk beside you in this time we have together.

I love you.

Miri said...

You have been a truly good friend at the right times for your friend.



Hang in there. –RS

Miri said...

So that was Ryan before.

This is me, saying:

We're so sorry for your friend's loss. And for the loss of a little bit more of your sense that all is okay with the world. It's not. We know it. It sucks to be reminded.

startastical said...

We have endured in this short life a seemingly unfair and unreasonable experience with death on many levels. I was thinking about that in class the other night as we were talking about death and dying. How something so certain and so guaranteed brings so much uncertainty and a sense of being cheated. You are right. There are no answers, none that make sense anyway. But the pursuit of answers, and the questions that go before them, is never ignorant.It is the only tool we have to create meaning from what initially seems meaningless.